 Space / 12101
Re: The Blacktron Arrow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.contests, lugnet.space, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:24:05 GMT

Hi John,

John Harms wrote:
In lugnet.build.contests, Kevin Dixon writes:
Hi all,

Here is my entry for the blacktron I space contest:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=9419
<SNIP>

S'Cool. Having done my entry in MLCAD/POVRay as well, I gotta ask:  "How'd you
do the hoses?"  I was gonna add some (it doesn't seem completely BT1 w/o
yellow hoses), but trying to build the things segment by segment caused much
blurriness of vision.

Yes, the hoses are pretty cool I thought.

I used a spreadsheet that I got from this webpage:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/hoses.html

I'm not exactly sure whose web page it is, but the spreadsheet on it
works well.

Basically it uses a bezier curve function to calculate where the hose
segments should go, and then automatically builds a dat file for the
hose.  It took me a few hours to figure out how the control points work,
and then another couple hours of tinkering to get a good hose shape.
But I think it is worth it.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions about the hose
spreadsheet, now that I've somewhat figured it out.

Cheers,
Kevin