 Robotics / Vision Command / 193
192  |  194
Subject:
PCMCIA Card USB Adapter and VC not working
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.vc, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 04:25:03 GMT

Anyone ever use a PCMCIA Card w/ USB to connect the Lego Cam to your computer?
I recently had the cord from my IR tower impede the direction of my knee.
Thusly, ripping the USB connection right out of the back of my Lap-Top.
So my USB ports are broke real good.

Here's the clinch, I gotta have VC online and working with the Super
Mech-Bot by Friday for an Art Showing!

So I went and got one of those PCMCIA USB adapters so I could have an
alternate connection to my computer.

I was able to use other Video Capture Programs to use the Lego Cam, but no
matter what I do I can't get VC to see the Lego Cam.

Since my onboard USB is KO'd, I disabled the device in the Device Manager.
I tried all the standard Installs etc. Either way it has no effect.

I checked lot's of stuff and I just can't get it to work.
I think that VC is still pointing to the Host or On Board USB Ports.
Although I removed the hardware profile, and tried it vice-versa.
I was able to use the Card Bus with other USB stuff like my Camera and IR
Tower, but when VC is on, it can't see the PCMCIA USB adaptor and Lego Cam.
Mindstorms Web-Site says the Lodgitec driver can sometimes over write the
Lego Cam driver, so I re-installed just the driver again as it recommends
and still nothing comes up in VC or the Cam software.

I know if I just send my computer back to HP they'll just replace the Board
etc... But this should work right?

Drivers,VC/Mindstorms Web-site, readme.txt, Device Managers, checked Device
boot up as best I know how all I can think of and I'm still stumped.

Using the Lego Cam in another application is plan B, but I would much rather
have the VC Senors up and working in addtion to people seeing themselves on
the computer screen as the giant bot watches!

Can anyone Help?

Your Wisdom is Welcome.

Eric Sophie
www.mylegomaster.com