 Robotics / Spybotics / 376
Re: using MacNQC with Spybotics via USB Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, John Hansen wrote:

It is possible [to download Spybot programs via the
USB tower] with NQC 3.0 a1.  I believe that the very
latest release of MacNQC includes this capability, but
I may be mistaken.

   I'd not heard this - do you use a fiber optic cable between the USB tower and
the Spybot, or just place the Spybot port near the little green light on the UBS
tower? I currently use a Serial-to-USB adapter, but another solution would be
welcome.
   And is this a capability of NQC, or the GUI it's wrapped in?

It is a capability of NQC but I was mistaken about the Mac version of NQC.  It
currently does not support the Spybotics target when the USB tower is used.

One of the first changes I made when I took over NQC was to add the ability for
NQC to download programs to the Spybot using the USB tower under Win32.  When
communicating with the Spybot via the USB tower, NQC (and BricxCC) turn off the
IR pinging since it interferes with the attempts to communicate with the Spybot
via IR rather than via its visible light serial interface.  The tower is set to
4800 baud and when downloading an NQC program the download chunk size is set to
2 instead of its default size of 16.  As a result it takes a lot longer to
download a program via the USB tower than via the standard Spybot serial cable.

I can't build the Mac version or the linux or fbsd versions either so I haven't
updated the source files for the USB tower support for those OSes (until today).
But I will need some help from Robert Bate (the MacNQC guy) and the linux and
fbsd users of NQC to make sure some recent changes I have made to the source
code work for their respective OSes.

John Hansen