 Robotics / Spybotics / 205
204  |  206
Subject:
Spybotic Mods
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 01:18:44 GMT

I have Snaptrax S45 and a Gigamesh G60 Spybotics robots. I recently modded
them both. The 1st mod was easy, I added powerful magnets on the bottom of
each robots using double-sided tape so that when I am working on my
techbench area if I drop a screw under the bench. I just send in one of the
robots in to run over the area where the screw is and the powerful magnets
pickup the screw. I then return the robot to me and remove the screw off of
the magnets. I got the powerful magnets from defective Notebook Computer
Hard Drives.

The second mod was a little harder, I added 2 green LEDs to the top of each
of the robots. The twist is I installed the LEDs in the center of 1 stud on
each side in the colloured transparent cover. So that if I add a coloured
transparent Lego piece onto the lighted stud the added piece will light up
too. I did this by drilling out the center of the stud big enough for the
LED. I then wired them together in parallel and connected them to a 3.4 volt
powersource inside the Spybotics Brick that turns on when the power button
is pressed and the Spybotic powers on. It also powers of when the Spybotic
turns off as well. I did learn while I was looking for a suitable power
source that even when the Spybotics Brick is powered off by it's power
button there are still quite alot of circuits still under power. I am not
sure why this is but it made my search harder because I had to test each 3.4
volt power source by cycling the Spybotics power to see if the power source
actually powered off when the Spybotics Brick powered down. Let me know what
you think of these mods. I know they are not true to Lego Mods but they did
add more useful features to my Spybotics Robots.

Thanks,
Ken Finch