 Robotics / Spybotics / 20
RE: Firmware
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:48:29 GMT

Does anyone know (for sure) if the firmware on the spybotics can be replaced?

I assume that having the programs in eprom (or whatever it is) means the
firmware is in the same long-term-memory type of place, so the firmware is
pre-loaded.

Can anyone confirm that?

As far as I know, the EEPROM on the chip is a small space where the
bytecodes live. The RAM for data is in a different place on the chip.

The RCX was unique in that the uploaded firmware and data RAM were in
the same external chip.

The Spybots are very cost sensitive, so there is no extra memory
beyond what is on the chip.

Long story short, as I understand it is that only the bytecodes can
be stored on the Spybot. Firmware replacement is not possible at
this point.

Cheers, Ralph