 Robotics / Spybotics / 125
Re: RCX remote and Spybotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:39:22 GMT

Happy New Year!
(again)

"Mark Ferris" <markdf2001@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Will the RCX remote control conflict with the IR signals from the
Spybotics controller?  I don't have a remote control, but I'd like to
get one for my RCX so I can build my own style bot to compete with my
kids, but I want to make sure my remote will work and not conflict
with their controllers.

A lot of infrared "in the air" certainly conflicts, because there are no
IR-channels. A pair LED and transistor work in a specified bandwidth, but
have you ever "heard" the noise of an IR remote control for TV in an IR
headset.

IR signals usually have a "label" at the start and that gets modified when
selecting a different "channel" with the spybot.

If SO constantly presses one button on the Controller it continiously sends
IR and can even block the communication.

OTOH: LEGO might have selected three sets of IR fequencies to avoid such
conflicts, and still have the controler only link to ONE spybot by the
SPYBOT ID. Thus back to the other thread. Two spybots might work on the same
"channel" but not without interference, ie. communication might be
corrupted.