 Robotics / Scout / 96
Re: how to clear downloaded programs from memory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:21:54 GMT

In article <G3KpEr.MG0@lugnet.com>, "Brian Johnson"
<mandalorian@home.stopspam.com> wrote:

I downloaded a simple program to my scout, but now i can't seem to figure
out how to clear it's memory. I know how to clear the "presets" in the
non-power mode, but that doesn't seem to work in power mode. I'm using
MacNQC 2.2a3. It's "clear memory" command doesn't work- just results in a
"no response from RCX" message. I also tried shading the IR tower,
thinking
that ambient light might be interefering, but that, too, did not work.

There isn't any way to clear the memory from MacNQC.  It wouldn't be
difficult to implement it - Scout support was added rather hastily and I
didn't even think of tweaking the clear memory code (its trying to
delete 10 tasks and 8 subroutines from 5 programs...scout doesn't have
that many, so it ignores some of the commands, hence the error).

I'm not actively supporting MacNQC (but others are), so I can't say
if/when a fix would be made.

As for a workaround...yanking the batteries works.

If you don't mind my asking...do you really need to clear the memory?
That feature was added in the case of the RCX since it holds 5 programs
and if you had 4 rather large ones already loaded you might run out of
memory for the 5th.  With the scout (which only hold one program),
you'll never have that problem...the program either fits or it doesn't
(MacNQC implicitly deletes the current program before loading a new one
- in the case of Scout this ammounts to clearing memory before each
download).

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com