 Robotics / Scout / 74
Re: Scout vs. RCX for Macintosh user
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 05:19:20 GMT

Assuming it doesn't all wind up in a drawer collecting dust, the RCX is
definitely worth the extra money.

Plus you get a lot more than just the RCX when you buy RIS 1.5.  For one
thing you get the IR tower, which is pretty much an essential add-on for
the Scout since the built in programming is quite limited.  Another plus
is that RIS comes with a lot more pieces.  This may not be so much an
issue if you've already got an extensive Lego Technic collection.

Here's why I think the RCX is worth it (vs the Scout)...

1) Three outputs instead of two.  I find designing with only 3 outputs
to be a challenge...two would be even more limiting.  (in fairness, you
can control the Micro-Scout from the Scout, and use the Micro-Scout as a
third motor, but this would involve buying another set and is not as
straightforward as simply having three outputs)

2) More sensor options.  The Scout has a built in light sensor and two
passive sensor ports (works good with touch sensors).  The RCX has three
sensor ports which all support passive and active sensors.  I use the
rotation sensor (an active sensor) quite often.  Also the fact that with
the RCX the light sensor is external rather than internal means you can
put it exactly where you want it.  The external light sensor also works
in reflective mode quite well (makes the 'bot less dependent on ambient
lighting conditions)

3) More memory (program space and variables).  Some of the programs I've
written just wouldn't fit into the Scout.

In short, the Scout is OK, but if you're likely to outgrow it after
spending a reasonable amount of time playing.

Of course, if you start with the Scout set, then decide to add an RCX
later on, you can have the two talk to one another and build a bot with
5 motors and 6 sensors.

Dave

In article <G0JvBs.Ix6@lugnet.com>, "Dan K. Snelson"
<dsnelson@burgoyne.com> wrote:

Greetings:

My name is Dan Snelson. I'm considering purchasing a Mindstorms set with
either
the Scout or RCX for Christmas. The set is mainly for me, but I'll let my
nine-year-old son play with it and my other three boys just watch.

I use a Macintosh and am planning on purchasing Robolab (and also trying
to get
Virtual PC to work with the patches available on the web.)

I'm considering the Scout because of price, but I've read in this
newsgroup and
other that the RCX is far more powerful.

I believe NQC could work for the Scout, but I'd have to buy a IR tower.

My wife's concern is that I'll spend $100+ on the Scout and just end up
wanting
the RCX next year.

The RCX is double in price compared to the Scout. Is it more than double
in
features / value?

Your thoughts, pl

--