 Robotics / Scout / 228
Re: Scout instructions online?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:32:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.scout, Miles Gentry writes:
Bricklink www.bricklink.com has some of the original 9735 RDS instruction
books for sale.  The set has 3 books with #1 "The Bug Book."

In lugnet.robotics.scout, Eric Sophie writes:
Can anyone point me to some instructions on how to use the Scout?

I'd like to read the "Bug Book".

I just bought the 9735 and I think it's a great value set!

I'd scan book #1 (which is the one you need) but it's in Swedish...  :1

Here's a DSDK FAQ at lego:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/support/en/dsdk.asp

Apparently, you can program the Scout's P mode with the regular RIS 2.0
Software Development Kit. You just press Select until display says "P" and
then you can program the 4-bit cpu and use all of its 14 bytes of memory! So
it's very limited.

Link to SDK:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/sdk2/default.asp

How the actual code gets into the Scout is a mystery to me tho, does anyone
know? According to Lego, the Scout can't read IR blinks, is that true?

Here are the pre-programmed modes:
2. Forward, then backward.
3. Forward, back when light hits sensor
4. Still. When light hits sensor, backs. When you flash light, changes
direction.
5. Still. When you flash light at sensor, backs away and increases speed.
6. Waits for light change. When light hits sensor, plays alarm, goes
forward, then backward.
7. Scout plays morse code. You mimic the code with a flashlight. If correct,
Scout backs a little. If incorrect, Scout goes forward a little.

Hope that helps.