 Robotics / Scout / 211
Re: Will TLC continue to support Scout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:18:07 GMT

At the risk of being flamed for "me too"ism..

I bought an RDS in mid-2000 while on business in the US (honest!), for my
7,10 + 12 year old's to get the hang of simple programming. I then grabbed
NQC and downloaded the Scout SDK (before TLC removed it) for me :)

I think the RDS is a great way to start constructing (inter)active toys, and
would like to see it continue (the introduction of the micro-scout last year
was a good sign).

I've just purchased ROBOLAB 2.5 (but it doesn't work on Win95 OSR1 - boo!)
for it's Scout support, so we can have a decent drag+drop programming tool..

I really can't justify the cost of an RCX yet (76 UKP + tax), since we are
nowhere near done with the Scout's capabilites...

Come on TLC - keep supporting the Scout!

Phil.

Michael Shiloh wrote:

dunno if TLC pays attention to this newsgroup, but i'm with
you. bought the Robotics Discovery Set for my 7 year old
nephew. i specifically wanted one he could use without
having to fire up the PC, or learning how to program on
the PC. plenty of time for that in the next coupla years;
meanwhile, the simple Scout programming is enough to
whet his appetite and introduce him to the concept of
"wait for this event, then do this".

TLC, are you listening? you'd be cutting out a whole
group of possible mindstorm enthusiasts. the scout
is a great stepping stone on the path to the full
RCX system. if you take away that stepping stone,
some other company may come up with a new product
in its place.

michael