 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 52
51  |  53
Subject:
Caution when using DCP container constructs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:51:52 GMT

In Robolab 2.0 the eight DCP container constructs store the raw value of the
sensor. This means the value stored is not in rotations, volts, dB, etc. but in
a raw measurement of these values. This raw value cannot be easily used with
other Robolab constructs.

To use the light sensor, we usually measure the ambient light at the beginning
of the program and store this value in a container. Then we either subtract or
add a constant value to this container and then use this container in fork
tests. This allows light sensor programs to operate properly in variable
lighting conditions.

The sound sensor also lends itself to this kind of "normalization" to
pre-existing conditions. At the beginning of the program we capture the sound
level in a container, add a constant to this container, and then use this in a
sound level sensor fork. This does not work because the values stored from the
DCP sensors are the raw values.

It would be very helpful if the DCP sensor values were converted when stored in
a container. This design limitation has been reported.