 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 142
Re: Does RL2.5 have array support?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:36:08 GMT

Miles:

On the question of arrays.

Yes, it turns out that RL 2.5 *does* have array support (although you'd
never find this out from the documentation).  The trick is to use the
container-of-container VI, which you only get in the Modifiers palette in
Investigator Program Level 5.  So you can do arrays, but you need to use two
of the global variables to do manipulate them in any meaningful way.  Anyone
who wants an example, I can send them a VI.

Things that are still tedious about RL:

1. You have to fudge your own Boolean functions.  There should be 'Waitfor
AND' and 'While AND' (for AND read also OR, NOT, and so on).  can fudge
these from Events, but it's tedious.
2. No direct access to the top 11 global variables (and don't tell me no-one
ever uses 'em, because I'm using them right now).
3. No direct access to the task-specific variables.  E.g., if you could only
access the loop counter directly, you could do some very nifty stuff with
arrays.

OTOH, there's lots of really neat stuff here in the Video Processing
section, and I *love* the 'Begin LASM' that lets you see the disassembly
before the program downloads.

Cheers,

JP