 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 525
RE: CPR for RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 23:39:26 GMT

I knew Assembler would come into play sooner or later.  I have downloaded a
copy of the H8/300 Assembly language spec.  What I still don't understand is
how you turn the object code into 'S'-type records with 'ld'?

ld is a linker. It takes the object code generated by the assebles
and "links" it together to form an image that can be loaded. The file:

ld/h8300_rcx.ld

specifies how the objects are stiched together.

Can I assume the RCX has a ROM function to read the 'S' records from the IR
port, convert them back into binary and load them into the firmware's memory
locations?

No, the firmware uploader splits the S records into a special binary
format that the RCX ROM can understand.

This helps.  I can make out the assembly language syntax within the files, as
long as TCL doesn't do anything fancy with the instructions, I should be okay.
I'm glad you have chosen to use an ANS-compliant indirect threaded model with
minimal core word set.  This is makes it a lot easier to work with although the
system as a whole will be slower.

Thank goodness I made ONE good decision :-) And yes it is slower but the
platform independence is a good thing. This is for educational purposes, not
crunching numbers in a reactor process. If you time some of the loops, you;ll
be surprised at how fast pbForth really is...

The next thing I have to overcome is multi-tasking.  I will gladly take on the
challenge of writing an LCD updating, button monitoring application, but I need
some way of keeping it independent of whatever main application is running.  I
might even try my hand at the WORKSHOP 3D Lego RCX Challenge when I get things
working correctly.

There's some clues to multi-tasking in this tutorial. It's a simple method
of tasking but will do the job nicely...

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth/scripts/howtoRCXMusic.html>

Also, for clues on reading buttons and such, see:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth/scripts/howtoRCXMonitor1.html>

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ralph