 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 524
Re: CPR for RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:25:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:

David wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1) Everything is loaded on to the RCX via S-records (pbforth.srec)
2) pbForth includes an inner and an outer interpreter
3) pbForth makes calls to existing ROM routines
4) TCL is used to 'compile' pbForth into the S-record format
5) TCL is used to program the terminal emulator

You're pretty much OK until point 4. TCL is used to compile the
pseudo code for pbFOrth into assembler source code. From there
the GNU as program assembled the object code and ld links it
and eventually produces the S records.

I knew Assembler would come into play sooner or later.  I have downloaded a
copy of the H8/300 Assembly language spec.  What I still don't understand is
how you turn the object code into 'S'-type records with 'ld'?

S records are just a universal way to represent the raw binary
values that get sent to the RCX in a human readable form.

Can I assume the RCX has a ROM function to read the 'S' records from the IR
port, convert them back into binary and load them into the firmware's memory
locations?

Can you also tell me how many of the 'core' pbForth words are coded in
H8/300 assembly language.  Do you have a list of them?

The list is in the files:

h8300/rcx/pbforth/h8300-primary-*.tcl

This helps.  I can make out the assembly language syntax within the files, as
long as TCL doesn't do anything fancy with the instructions, I should be okay.
I'm glad you have chosen to use an ANS-compliant indirect threaded model with
minimal core word set.  This is makes it a lot easier to work with although the
system as a whole will be slower.

The next thing I have to overcome is multi-tasking.  I will gladly take on the
challenge of writing an LCD updating, button monitoring application, but I need
some way of keeping it independent of whatever main application is running.  I
might even try my hand at the WORKSHOP 3D Lego RCX Challenge when I get things
working correctly.
  ( http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/ )

I will be busy at work for the next couple of weeks but I will try to keep busy
with this during the evenings.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get more information about the
upcoming 2002 MindFest?

David