 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 456
Re: Palm and pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 19:20:50 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
I'm having trouble justifyting the
effort in pbForth becuase the new USB tower has a goofy interface and
getting it to work on all platforms might be more trouble than it's
worth...

If you changed pbForth to use 2400,o,8,1 instead of 2400,n,8,1 wouldn't that
make it work with the USB tower?  It seems to me like that is what the
standard Lego firmware expects from either tower.  That appears to be how it
works under Windows, anyway.

From the pbForth perspective, it seems like it shouldn't matter what
platform the client software is using.  pbForth (imho) should support the
USB tower regardless of whether it is easy to use the USB tower under Linux
or not.

Does the standard Lego firmware even know (or care) whether the client is
using the USB tower vs the serial tower?  I'm nearly certain it doesn't.  If
the either tower sends using the right baud rate, parity, data-bits, and
stop-bits settings then it can understand the data and respond appropriately.

Thanks,

John Hansen