 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 419
RE: pbForth is fun!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:15:47 GMT

Mario Ferrari wrote:

I had approached pbForth two or three times in the past, always failing to
manage what I thought was a steep learning curve. The truth is I probably
was too lazy to put the necessary attention into it, or I was in
a hurry to
program my robots to show at some legofest and decided to use some tool I
was already productive with.

We all suffer from the same problem, Mario, we work with the tools we know!

Ralph's introduction to pbForth in the excellent book "Extreme Mindstorms"
made me realise I missed the key point: why should I learn pbForth? After
all I don't need it for my job, I don't need it to live, I even don't need
it to program my RCX. The answer is simple: for fun. Just for the pleasure
to challenge my mind with a "different" thing.

<snip>

Thanks Mario. This kind of praise is hard to come by, especially from
someone who really knows how to tinker! I have been pretty slack about
updatingthe tools and my webpage lately, but I have been working
on an improvement to the basic pbForth language.

The kernel as it stands right now is about 14K, and a lot of that is
error checking, multi-wordlist support, and general language features
that a lot of hobbyists just don't need.

I'm stripping the kernel down to about 4K, yup, 4K and you will still
be able to compile right on the brick! With all of the other time
constraints I'm under, don't look for it too soon, but about 1 month
from now it should be ready.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com