 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 392
RE: Major breakthrough serial wise.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 13:32:51 GMT

Soirry for the late reply, I've been on a sudden business
trip and was unable to get to my email...

I have been fiddling with serial interrupts with little
success. Today I finally figured out that interrupts
are masked in the CCR until you run the word RCX_INIT.
I was blindly assuming that interrupts were generally
enabled and I only had to deal with serial stuff.

Great! I would leave the basic serial stuff alone and enable
interrupt driven serial IO in a separate set of words, like
RCX_INIT and SERVO_INIT etc. Maybe something that means
interrupt-driver serial init, but my brain can't think
of a good word. SERIAL_INIT maybe, but it does not imply
the interrupt driven part...

Now I have to think about the correct place to clear
that bit. Ralph, do you think it is safe to enable
interrupts earlier? Normally I would initialize the
state of all devices that might generate an interrupt
before clearing a general mask bit but here we don't
want to muck with much device state that might be
depended on by firmware.

I agree. See above.

PS. My IR connection stinks. It is seldom that I can
upload more that 5 lines of script without at least one
error. I don't completely understand what is happening.

Is this normally, or with your serial code?

It won't be just one bad byte. An entire string will
be wrong. My workaround is to only define words
in a script and then download several times till everything
gets defined, jiggling with the positions of RCX and
tower inbetween.

Do you have another source of IR in the room, like a security
monitor?

Very annoying. What is strange is that
the echo in the window is bad. This is generated by the
tower and probably has nothing to do with the RCX except
as a source of reflections. I don't understand how
reflections can cause problems. It is not like we are
dealing with current speed. IR is moving at the speed of
light (it is light) eand all reflections basically get
there at the same time at 2400 baud speeds. It isn't the
normal signal broadening and overshoot that electrical
reflections cause. As far as I can guess it must be a
signal intensity problem eithor 0 or 1 or both.

Hmmm. I'd check the batteries. I use a 9V cheater that I really
should publish some pictures of...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>