 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 208
RE: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:07:59 GMT

Graham wrote:

no problem. wait a minute - there is no....
No commercial use? and I was hoping to become a billionaire thru this. I
know, why not call it Forth.com, and go public? That's got to be worth at
least a couple of GECs...

The IS a forth.com already   :-)

(as a bit of background - I actually did entertain making money on the CE
when it came out.  Unfortunately only 12 people bought CEs, so that didn't
quite pan out. My view now is that, post-web, you can't sell software.
Obviously there are billions being spent on evil, monopolistic, satanic
redmond innovation-destroying-ware (kidding)  but the way it riches now is
to give away the software, and charge $20 a month to use it.)

Right on. You sell support, or bokks, or whatever to go WITH the software.
I'd like to know what the profitablilty of Microsoft Press is...

there is one FORTH for MIPS processor CE, but nothing for SH3. I considered
hForth - since you said that was the basis for your port. I think, given the
target machine and my skill set, I'll try to port one written in C.... I'm
not just wimping out here, ASM is not generally the wisest choice on
Windows.

There are lots of Forths written in C. Try to pick one that's ANSI C compatible.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com