 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 203
FW: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:45:55 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Stalker-Wilde, Graham [mailto:graham.stalker-wilde@csfb.com]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 12:42 PM
To: 'Ralph Hempel'
Subject: RE: Window CE Support for the Mindstorm Unit

Doh!

Question for you. I built a scanner recently (me, and 10,000 others - but I
don't think Xerox have to worry too much yet) which worked like this.

the RCX had an NQC line scan program, which took care of reading a line in
to the datalog, then inching forward, and incrementing the value in
Variable0. A PC app (VB with spirit.ocx) polled on Variable0, and on change
it sucked in the datalog, normalized it, added it to the data set, displayed
it and all that stuff, then it ran the program on the RCX again.

How would I do this in pbFORTH? Or is it as simple as: write a PC app that
writes to / listens on the COM port? (the missing datalog is obviously not a
problem - you have variables instead!) The polling I'm unsure of. Is there
anything I should know about the PC<->RCX communication?

I guess the question is really, what's the best way to do 2 way
communication? This ties into the WindowsCE business. I'm getting quite
interested in ways of controlling the world from my H/PC, and thinking of
ways to do it. Piggybacking the CE on a RCX bot is a fun idea - sort of a
master-blaster set-up. RCX collects data, sends it to CE for heavy duty
processing, CE modifies RCX code on the basis of the environment, and so on.

this might work well, actually - & FORTH is a good choice, since all you're
doing is generating text and pumping it through the port, so learning
bots/self-modifying code becomes fairly straightforward.

What I also ought to do is write an RCX emulator for the CE - porting FORTH
to it (not avail for CE yet!) so I can write RCX apps on the train....

Hmmm. What's your policy on pbFORTH source again? Would that help me port an
emulator to CE?

-g