 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 192
191  |  193
Subject:
Save image in pbForth (without any save-supporting code)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 19:39:20 GMT

Hi Ralph,

It appears to be a quite easy task - to save the pbForth image without SAVE-
SYSTEM support.
Only thing you need to do is to define a marker before you will upload the
“save” words:

MARKER end_of_image

[ upload SAVE-SYSTEM support ]

After this, the simple word like

: MY-SAVE end_of_image SAVE-SYSTEM ;

or sequence of commands like

' SAVE-SYSTEM end_of_image EXECUTE

will save a system only until the “end_of_image” marker.
It works, because marker will restore HERE pointer but will not erase the code
itself, so SAVE-SYTEM definition could be executed.

I had to change a buffering scheme little bit. In previous version buffer was
allocated past the HERE pointer. Now I’ve buffer near the PAD area.
Only one problem here, I’ve made it based on previous version of pbForth. But
now, when you’ve changed the stack location, I’m afraid, my assumptions were
wrong. Would be nice if you could give me new source codes, so I can verify my
stuff.

I will send you complete sources today. Fill free to reformat them as you like.

Sergey