 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 184
RE: Save image in pbForth (srec version)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:52:45 GMT

Sergey wrote:

Also, it is possible to create an alternative SAVE-SYSTEM word that will
generate image without SAVE-SYTEM support included (similar to MARKER word).

Oh, you mean that you can save the system dictionary up to the point of the
SAVE_SYSTEM stuff that is at the end of the dictionary? Great!

This is a great contribution, Sergey. Do you mind if I put
it in script format and package it with the standard distribution?

I might also roll it into the standard so that the user can chose
an image that has this pre-loaded....

It would be great. I would like to have it in a standard distribution.

I think a SAVE_SYSTEM script that is loaded in just before the system is
to be saved is right. I could provide the basic script in commented form as
an example of really good forth coding, then a stripped version that's
quicker to load.

Only thing, in my original version I'm using alternative wordlists to hide
implementation details. For instance, S-record words enclosed in wordlist
definition like this:

You already have words like SET-ORDER, GET-ORDER, MARKER in pbForht image. Is
it possible to add those WORDLIST and WORDLIST-NAME words too?
I like the idea of wordlists a lot. It's an only way how one could hide all
unnecessary implementation details and keep global namespace clean. Including
them in the standard image would greatly support this technique.

If you can give me the high-level definitions, I can add them easily. The
other possibility is to have a basic kernel that is provided as a minimal
SREC file. Then we could have some good instructins for customizing the kernel.

For example...you want the WORDLIST and some double support. Just load up the
basic kernel, add in the WORDLIST and DOUBLE stuff you need, then load SAVE_SYSTEM
and do it. Waht could be simpler than having the ability to extend the kernel
and build it jsut the way you want, right on the RCX brick itself!!

Other little thing, I've remarked that MARKER word can't restore task chain.
It correctly removes the task definition, but doing nothing about the chain.
All the multitasker words already in the standard image. I think it would be
also nice if MARKER can take care about the task chain too.
What do you think?

Oh, you've found the other thing I've not worked on for a while. Yes, the task
chain would be handy to restore back to its original state. I think you need
to kill all of the tasks that are running, then restore the saved task chain.

Can you work on this at all?

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>