 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 136
RE: additional pbforth questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 22:21:46 GMT

Hmm, this is the kind of message I should use for FAQ fodder...

Does pbforth run under dos or windows on the PC?

You can run it either way. The original intent was to use the
dumbest tool possible to interact with the RCX. For DOS this is
Procomm Plus or some such tool, for Windows its HyperTerminal

The TclTk GUI that I bundled in pbFORTH has only been tested under
Win9x, and the latest version of TCL from Scriptics
has changed the serial drivers, so It's a bit flakey.

Does it use blocks or dos/windows file system on the PC?

You can use it under the Mac or Linux too if you use NQC to load
the firmware :-) Like I said ANY terminal program will work. You'll
have to get used to double echoes though unless you use the Tcl
script...

Does it use blocks in RAM on the RCX?

No, there is no file system in the RAM

If I program directly on the RCX can I upload the programs to the PC for
further development?

I do it the other way. I separate the general algorithm from the RCX
specific stuff. Then I verify the algorithm using hFORTH on the PC
and then test the RCX code separately. Then I merge the two.

In using pbforth am I eliminating the development tools that came with the
Lego Mindstorm or am I just running in memory in addition to the delivered
tools?

Yup, the LEGO firmware is gone - but you can replace it any time you want.
It's in RAM, not FLASH, so the load/erase cycle count isn't an issue.

Can I eliminate the memory that the delivered tools use so I get more memory
when using pbforth?

Can I load the ROM using pbforth or just RAM?

pbFORTH uses the RM routines in the RCX for RCX specific tasks like timers
and reading sensors. Other than that pbFORTH runs entirely out of RAM

Good questions!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>