 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 105
Re: Rotation sensors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:28:21 GMT

Hi Ralph,

Ralph Hempel wrote:

Has anyone used a rotation sensor with pbFORTH? I can't
seem to get it to work. My test script is attached.

Thanks for attaching the code Jonathan. Before I go through the
steps of trying this out, what do you mean by doesn't work? ie.

1. Does it hang and not display anything?
2. Does it display the same data all the time?
3. Does it not respond to the pushbutton event to stop it?

Sorry for not being more specific. It shows the same value
all the time.

The probable cause is that you have not specified it as an
active sensor (I think). Try 1 SENSOR_ACTIVE and see if that
helps.

Yup, you nailed it. I thought the rotation sensor was a
passive resistive device. The call to SENSOR_ACTIVE fixed it up.

Nice script, by the way. Are you still working on that Mindstorms
book?

Thanks, I'm still getting used to FORTH. Yes, as you could probably
tell, I'm working on a chapter about pbFORTH: a quick fly-through
of FORTH itself, descriptions of the pbFORTH-specific words,
and a couple of sample programs. I'd love to have you read through
the chapter if you can.

I feel pbFORTH is underappreciated in the MINDSTORMS community; I'm
hoping the book can push it forward a little.

Thanks,
Jonathan