 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 891
Re: Serial to USB Adapters for iMac
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 20:34:02 GMT

In article <G66tnA.HD5@lugnet.com>, "Tim Goodwin" <tgvoz@tidalwave.net>
wrote:

Hello

Up until yesterday my nephew has been using the Xircom USB to Serial
adapter on
an iMac (Blueberry 350 ) with MPW NQC quite successfully. Now NQC seems
to be
able to transmit via the adapter (the green data light flashes on the
adapter
and on the IR tower) but cannot receive the confirmation from the RCX
which
results in a "no reply from RCX error". If anybody has had a similar
experience
and managed to correct it I would sincerely appreciate hearing what steps
you
took, otherwise it looks like I'm going to have to cough up about $70.
for a new
adapter.

"no reply from RCX" is probably not an adapter problem.  My first guess
would be that the RCX doesn't have firmware loaded (If you see "00.00"
on the display, firmware is loaded, if you just see an icon and "1",
then it isn't).

Second guess would be inordiante amounts of IR interference (large TVs
and sunlight are two potential culprits).  Try keeping the RCX and tower
about 8" apart and shield them from other light (perhaps drape a towel
over them as a test).

Another test is to type the following:

nqc -v -raw 10

and post (or e-mail me) the output...that will help determine if the IR
tower is responding properly, if the RCX transmits anything at all, etc.

If the latter proves to be the case, has anybody had any experience with
either
the Micro Connectors Serial to USB adapter or the Keyspan USB Twin Serial
Adapter? I did notice that the Micro Connectors adapter is RS-232
compatible and
the Keyspan adapter provides two RS-422 ports. As I believe the IR Tower
is RS-
232 would that mean that the Keyspan adapter is incompatible with the
Tower?

I use the Twin myself.  You'll need some sort of RS-422 to RS-232 cable.
I have a homemade one, but they are also relatively inexpendive to buy.
The reason I selected the Twin adapter is that it supports external
clocking so it works with MIDI adapters.  Very early versions of the
Keyspan adapters had various minor driver problems, but mine has been
quite reliable for over a year (basically, they fixed the bugs and the
drivers are now stable).  Of course, all of the information is probably
useless since I'm fairly certain we should be able to get NQC working
again with your existing adapter given that it used to work.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com