 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 878
Re: Communication between NQC and VisualBasic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 00:28:24 GMT

In article <G4tz34.IHK@lugnet.com>, "Thomas Zapf-Schramm"
<Thomas.Zapf-Schramm@home.ivm.de> wrote:

I would like to experiment with communication between two autonomous
robots.
Unfortunately I can't afford a second RCX.
So I would like to this thing with the RCX and my PC.

Is there a way to write a NQC program that interacts with a Visual Basic
(or
Perl or C++) program with messages just like two RCXs would interact?

I know I have full acces to all the RCX-features with SPIRIT.OCX and I
can
control the RCX completely from the PC. But this is not what I want. I
want
them to communicate as independend systems over a simple communication
channel. Each side shoud run its own program. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, Spirit.ocx doesn't support sending messages.  However,
the packet protocol is pretty simple so as long as you can access the
serial port directly you should be able to build message packets.  See
the following web pages for more detailed information on rcx packets and
bytecodes.

Collection of just about everything tech on the RCX:
http://www.crynwr.com/lego-robotics/

A very good reference of the bytecodes, protocol, etc:
http://graphics.stanford.edu/~kekoa/rcx/

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com