 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 849
848  |  850
Subject:
Programmable RCX display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 09:52:17 GMT

One of the missing "nice-to-have" features with the RCX is a programmable
display. It would be great if LEGO implemented this feature. One way could be
to attach a number 0 - 6 for each segment of the four 7-segment numbers and set
a corresponding bit, such as

333
2  4
666
1  5
000

A display of  "  CAL" would be represented by 2 variables

x0000000x0001111    x11111100x0000111
digit 4       digit 3            digit 2        digit 1

with x = don't care. The display would be activated with a function like
"SpecialDisplay ( var1, var2) with var1 representing digit 4 / 3 and var2
representing digit 2 / 1.

There are many useful things that could be displayed, such as (I have a nice
7-segment-font but it can't be used here):

CAL, On, OFF, FLt, HALt, ESC, MoD2, Evt3, PauS, ...

and many other special symbols or even "moving" displays. These displays would
be great for debugging, flow control, games, etc.

I heard that LEGO is listening - so there maybe a chance for future
implementations ...

Anyone else who would like this feature?

Bernd