 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 621
620  |  622
Subject:
Syntax for reserving variables in NQC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2000 21:50:22 GMT

The fact that in RCX2 the counters are overlapped with global variables
has brought about an interesting problem.  How should a programmer
indicate to the NQC compiler that a certain RCX variable location is to
be left untouched (not assigned to any NQC globa/local/temp variable)?

What should the synatx be?  The only thing even remotely close to this
in normal C/C++ is the ability to specify certain registers for function
arguments in support of inline assembly, or interfacing to OS glue.

At present I'm leaning more towards a #pragma rather than introducing
another keyword into the language...

// reserve RCX variable location 1
#pragma reserve 1

How does this sound?  Would people prefer a language construct for this
(and if so, what should it be)?

Dave Baum

p.s.  I realize that in theory NQC could automatically determine counter
usage and reserve the locations on behalf of the programmer.  Perhaps
I'll add that functionality eventually.  But the idea of reserving a
specific location has merit on its own, so I see this as a general
purpose solution to the counter problem.

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com