 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 399
398  |  400
Subject:
Proposed solution to RcxCC / NQC problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 05:22:32 GMT

This is my proposed solution to the problem with the NQC beta and RcxCC.
As a quick recap, the problem is that RcxCC uses an exec line which has
one quoted argument ending with a backslash:

nqc -E"temp.log" -L"temp.lst" -I"C:\NQC\CC\" temp.nqc

The \" combination confuses both VC++ and CodeWarrior runtimes - they
think the " is being escaped and parse the args as:

argv[0]: nqc
argv[1]: -Etemp.log
argv[2]: -Ltemp.lst
argv[3]: -IC:\Program Files\RcxCC" temp.nqc

Robert Del Favero suggested avoiding this problem by mandating that
options like -I don't end with a backslash.  This is a really good idea
since it will eliminate what appears to be a grey area of writing C
programs for Win32.  However, I don't want to break anything out there
depending on the present behavior under MPW or Unix (neither of which
suffer from the same sort of dilemma since breaking a command line into
args happens in the shell rather than the program being called).

So, the next release of NQC will make the trailing directory separator (\
for Win32, / for Unix, : for Mac) optional.  If the path doesn't end in a
separator, one is implied.  That way, RcxCC could then do this:

nqc -E"temp.log" -L"temp.lst" -I"C:\NQC\CC" temp.nqc

which would be interpreted the intended way regardless of whether the
Win32 runtime in question was escaping or not.  Hopefully this will be a
simple enough fix for Mark to implement.  I'll also disable the escaping
within the runtime I use for building NQC, so the following should work

new NQC built by me + existing RcxCC
new NQC built by me + modified RcxCC
new NQC built by anyone + modified RcxCC

What won't work is the new NQC built by standard VC++ or CW runtimes used
with the existing RcxCC.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com