 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 291
Re: Implementing Finite State Machines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 17:11:03 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Vlad Dumitrescu writes:
Hi all!

I have been struggling with a fairly large FSM implementation in NQC and came
to realize that maybe most of the more advanced NQC applications might be
actually FSMs (or could become)...

Because I think it is a little awkward to handle a FSM directly in NQC (or C
for that matter), and because I am the kind of guy that gladly spends a week
automating a task that otherwise takes 10 minutes :-), I am planning to write • [snip]
I would like to get some feedback on this, see if there is interest.
I won't have time to do anything until next year, so if anyone feels they want
to do it now, feel free to do so, but please let me know - I do have ideas and
prototypes.

  FSMs are a boon in our behavioural robotics projects.  If you have read the
Rod Brooks papers, he uses them to implement subsumptive architectures in his
"radical" robots.  I have used them a LOT in my Stamp II robots as the only way
to get a form of task interleaving in a microcontroller that is essentially one
linear process.  I haven't considered them much in NQC as the RCX has a 10 task
multitasker, it didn't seem essential for most things.  The behaviors that I
have implemented had only a few states anyway and the lack of switch statements
didn't get in the way.

  What kind of tasks have you been implementing with FSMs in your projects?
I'm kinda interested in the path you are taking.

Cool subject,
DLC