 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 284
283  |  285
Subject:
Implementing Finite State Machines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 07:56:52 GMT

Hi all!

I have been struggling with a fairly large FSM implementation in NQC and came
to realize that maybe most of the more advanced NQC applications might be
actually FSMs (or could become)...

Because I think it is a little awkward to handle a FSM directly in NQC (or C
for that matter), and because I am the kind of guy that gladly spends a week
automating a task that otherwise takes 10 minutes :-), I am planning to write a
tool that will take a FSM description in a somewhat clearer format

state
    OnEnterState code
  Event ->
    Action
    next state

The tool would generate a NQC file (not so difficult, it's just to write a
template and the event generation code), feed it to NQC and translate line
numbers in the error messages (if any).

It might be cool if it could become a plugin in RxCC...

I would like to get some feedback on this, see if there is interest.
I won't have time to do anything until next year, so if anyone feels they want
to do it now, feel free to do so, but please let me know - I do have ideas and
prototypes.

Cheers!
/Vlad