 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1696
Re: bad motor output because of lego firmware?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:47:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, Gunther Lemm wrote:
I've spent the last two days trying to write a function in NQC that transfers
data to the Lepomux I/O-extender.

There is a gap of at least 3ms between the fwd->off and the off->rev edge. This
makes it impossible for the Lepomux to recognize it as one edge.
The reason for this behaviour seems to be that the bytecode interpreter (or even
the ROM routines) don't directly access the motor output register in the RCX
(two bit per motor for off,fwd,rev,brk).

Does anyone know a workaround or do I really have to patch the Lego firmware
image?

I suspect part of this delay is inherant to the firmware, and won't be
"patchable"

In any case, if you want your extender to be something you can market to most
users, it should work with the standard firmware, without modification.

Just my opinion
Steve