 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 166
Re: Listening to IR via NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:10:48 GMT

In article <slrn7ukr68.icq.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>, mattdm@mattdm.org wrote:

I know that NQC can send IR messages; can it -- or any other command-line
program -- listen to the IR port and dump any incoming messages to a file
(or stdout)?

You can sometimes fake it by sending "bad" codes in -raw mode with verbose
mode turned on (-v) and a long timeout (-t).

For example, to examine the Lego remote codes I kept typing this:

nqc -v -t 2000 -raw 10

Since I didn't have an RCX around it would keep trying (2 seconds between
tries) to send a "ping".  After each send it would dump out everything it
heard.  Not perfect, but enough for some hacking.

I'll try to add something more suitable for the next NQC release.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com