 Robotics / RCX / 99
Re: Listening to IR via NQC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 23:57:33 GMT

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:
I know that NQC can send IR messages; can it -- or any other command-line
program -- listen to the IR port and dump any incoming messages to a file
(or stdout)?

If I understand you correctly, then this is more difficult than it sounds,
because the IR tower shuts down after a few seconds after the PC stops
transmitting.  Things work fine if the PC initiates a conversation (e.g. by
asking the RCX to send it something), but if the RCX is the first one to
pipe up, then tower has to be awake at that time for the PC to hear
anything.

What you are asking for is otherwise possible.

I don't know of anybody that has attempted to write a program that keeps
the tower alive in anticipation of the RCX sending a message, although such
a program wouldn't be too hard write.  If this is the kind of program you
are looking for, then maybe (but doubtfully?) it has already been written
and whoever wrote it has kept quiet so far.

If this is not the kind of program you are looking for - i.e. you know that
the PC will send messages often enough to keep the tower alive - then I
believe most any of the programs for talking to the RCX will do.  But it
sounds like they are not good enough for you.

A common workaround is to have the PC occasionally poll the RCX to see if
it has anything new to send.  This way the PC starts all conversations, and
the RCX still gets to send messages (close to) when it needs them sent.

-Kekoa