 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1648
Re: The grand challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 19:30:03 GMT

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> writes:

It is  conducted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
Participants from across United States invented and built their own
autonomous grand vehicles to compete by being the first one to complete the
designated route, dessert like rough terrain, between Los Angeles and Las
Vegas  within a specified time limit.   The vehicle must be fully
autonomous, receiving no other signals (ONLY publicly available signals,
such as GPS) for navigation, path planning, obstacle avoidance, and terrain
differentiation.  The qualification is vigorous, and only a few were left to
take the challenge of this groundbreaking technology.

Yes I know, and I'm also looking how they do
(looks like game is over now, after at most 11 of 229km).
So I was not really serious, but neither was I 100% joking.
There have been serious robot competitions where Mindstorms based
robots have won, mostly because they were the easiest to get running,
and the others all broke down more or less.  For example

http://advance.uri.edu/pacer/september2000/story5.htm
http://www.auvsi.org/competitions/2000/photogallery.cfm
http://www.auvsi.org/competitions/2000/pics/URI1.jpg

Jürgen