 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1642
RE: The grand challenge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 15:56:37 GMT

It is  conducted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
Participants from across United States invented and built their own
autonomous grand vehicles to compete by being the first one to complete the
designated route, dessert like rough terrain, between Los Angeles and Las
Vegas  within a specified time limit.   The vehicle must be fully
autonomous, receiving no other signals (ONLY publicly available signals,
such as GPS) for navigation, path planning, obstacle avoidance, and terrain
differentiation.  The qualification is vigorous, and only a few were left to
take the challenge of this groundbreaking technology.

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of Juergen Stuber
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 9:46 AM
To: lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc@lugnet.com; lugnet.robotics.rcx@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: The grand challenge

"Elizabeth Mabrey" <emabrey@storming-robots.com> writes:

I'm sure some of you may have already watching this.  Check out the
Grand Challenge taken place in CA.  The Grand Challenge Events -
Autonomous Ground Vehicles, www.grandchallenge.org.

I'm sure a LEGO Mindstorms robot would have won, if they only
had let them participate ;-)

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>