 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 1083
1082  |  1084
Subject:
Fast data acquistion on PC from RCX ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 14:16:15 GMT

I want to do fast data acquistion (100 samples/second) continuously with the RCX and transport the data in realtime to a PC.
I'm building a oscilloscope to monitor sensors and globals variables on the PC, a bit like "Mr. Sensor Program"
    http://www.plazaearth.com/usr/gasperi/mrsensor.htm
that was build by Michael Gasperi, and plan to incorporate into RCXcc.
I use RIS 1.5, NQC en Delphi via the spirit OCX.

I've done some tests with the "spirit.poll" command, but it's too slow, the (average) time to get a value transported from the RCX to the PC is 108 msec. So I've to increase the speed by a factor 10.

Has anyone ideas ?
or experience with one of the following ideas ?
- double the Baud rate to the IR tower
- double the carrier frequency of the IR communication
- data compression, i.e. delta modulation and packing two values into 1 word
- direct communication with the IR-tower instead of using spirit.ocx
- using the RCX-datalog, and reading it while it's still being filled

Stef Mientki