 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 911
Re: Another possible makefile change
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 12:25:39 GMT

"Rossz Vámos-Wentworth" wrote:

Since under Windows we must specify the PERL program name, unlike Unix and
variants which figure out what to do automagically, I suggest this change in
makefile.common:

Under Windows (assumes the perl program is on the PATH):
PERL = perl

Under Unix/Linux (leave it empty):
PERL =

Then we can modify the perl script commands to this:

MERGEMAP = $(PERL) $(LEGOS_ROOT)util/merge-map

Is there a way to make the assignment conditionally?  I haven't found an
internal variable in Make that specifies the OS.

Although *nix system's try to figure out the interpreter for a script if
you don't provide it, it doesn't harm to do so. Thus, actually you
dont't have to distinct 2 cases here. We could simply use the MERGEMAP
you suggest for all currently supported systems.

However, i guess sooner or later we might need conditionals depending on
the OS. The easiest way to detect the OS running under *nix is the
command uname. On linux systems, the ouput is: Linux. Is that command
available in the cygwin environment ?

--Martin