 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 759
Re: more on the rotation sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 22:23:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Philip Brown writes:
Ben (ben@ben.com) wrote:
The order of the states (as defined by legOS, in order of increasing raw • value)
is:  2, 1, 3, 0.

I think I have an idea what is going on.
Consider the sensor rotating forwards. If typical readings for states 0 to 3
are
3,  1, 0, and 2 (ordered as in your message) the input goes through the
series:

The order is numerical, either 0->1->2->3->0... or 0->3->2->1->0...  That's why
legOS has them enumerated that way.  The Mindstorms fw numbers them
differently, which is why I mentioned it.

state : 0 -> 1 -> 2 ->  3 -> 0 ->...
input : 3 -> 1 -> 0 ->* 2 -> 3 ->...

As the input is an analog signal, if you read it while it is changing from
state
2 to 3 and the input is changing from 0 to 2 (marked with a * above) you may
get a reading corresponding to a 1.

I don't think your specific example is correct because of what I mentioned
above.  I agree that there is probably some analog signal which is a linear
combination of two adjacent inputs that appears to be something else.

For example:

actual:  0 -> 1 -> 2 -> 3
samples: 0003111122222333333

So in that case you see what should be "forward 1" translated into "back 1",
"forward 2" (ignored).  I think I have observed this in practice, because it
shows up as an offset of -2 from the correct position.  The other case would
be:

actual:  3 -> 2 -> 1 -> 0
samples: 33322221111113000

In this case what should be backward 1 turns into "forward 2" (ignored)"
"forward 1".  An offset of +2.

In both cases ignoring a state 3 when it would result in a 2-state transition
should fix the problem.  I thought I had tried that...

--Ben