 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 415
414  |  416
Subject:
IR questinos and more
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 15:31:13 GMT

Hi All.

I'm trying to build an IR proximity sensor with LegOS, by using the
on-board transmitter and light sensor.  I'm having problems figuring out
how to send data, however.  I tried using lnp_logical_write(), but 'cu -l
/dev/ttyS0' doesn't show any data, and there's no other way for me to check
if the RCX is actually transmitting.  Also, as soon as something is sent by
the tower, lnp_logical_write() no longer works (just blocks).  I presume
it's the semaphore being posted by the networking layer, which is waiting
for an entire packet to arrive.  Is there a nice way to send something
through the IR port, without interfering with the networking stack?

I also had a couple of general questions, hopefully someone can answer..

1.  What is a rotation/angle sensor (legodacta sells those)?  What angle
does it show (bot heading or something else)?

2.  Is there a way to get the motor to make one complete rotation, and then
stop?

3.  I would like to connect an ultrasound sensor to the RCX.  Will it be
able to drive the sensor directly, or will it need some interface
electronics?

4.  Kind of in relation to the above, is there any information available on
how the sensor inputs of the RCX work?  What is it expecting to see on
those inputs? (varying resistance?  But then how does the light sensor work?)

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,
Modemch