 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3789
Re: Multi-RCX Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:51:58 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Matt Salisbury wrote:
   I see a lot being done with communication between 2 RCX units. I was wondering if anybody had done anything with RCX communication with more than just 2 RCX.

legOS allows this with a networking protocol. leJOS allows this if you’re willing to work with Jini.

Both of these require replacing the firmware with either C or Java.

You can build your own networking protocol in any language, really. Conceptually it’s easy. Each robot has to have a unique identifier (a code of some kind), and if another robot wants to talk to a specific robot it broadcasts that code until the correct robot responds. That’s what I’d do. The sender might have to drive around or rotate to find the recipient, but that’s the basic idea. If you want just general messages like “Get out of my way” or “Hey other robot, turn left” and stuff like that, it’s also easy to implement.

Here are a couple pages I found:
http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/Robo_Soccer/Multi_robot.htm
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~rgockley/legos/