 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3695
RE: NEW LEGO USB Driver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:49:34 GMT

At 08:39 AM 3/8/2004, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:
As Mike pointed out, it is a hyper-threading problem.  The reason for
winXP not working, but W2K works, may very well be that W2K does not
support hyperthreading feature, but WinXP does.  I wonder if Mike or
anyone does indeed disable the hyper-threading feature to test without the
patch first. If the driver works without the patch works just by disabling
the hyper-threading feature, we can truly conclude the only issue is the
hyper-threading.

I have already removed winxp a while ago, so I cannot test that. I have
been deterred from  upgrading to windows 2003 because of the usb driver
issue. Win2003 indeed supports hyper-threading.  However, before I dive
into installing win2003, I wonder if anyone has proved that the winxp will
work with the hyper-threading feature disabled (usually from the bios)
without the patch.

Someone who's name I forget (you know who you are!) said definitely that
hyperthreading cannot be simply disabled in BIOS - that Windows has to be
reinstalled with a non-hyperthreading kernel.

And to answer your musings in the first paragraph...yes, we did testing on
non-HT machines (all of the major Windows flavors, I believe) with the USB
Tower and it worked fine before the patch was built. It's only when
hyperthreading became an issue that the towers started malfunctioning.

~Mike