 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3694
RE: NEW LEGO USB Driver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:39:03 GMT

As Mike pointed out, it is a hyper-threading problem.  The reason for winXP
not working, but W2K works, may very well be that W2K does not support
hyperthreading feature, but WinXP does.  I wonder if Mike or anyone does
indeed disable the hyper-threading feature to test without the patch first.
If the driver works without the patch works just by disabling the
hyper-threading feature, we can truly conclude the only issue is the
hyper-threading.

I have already removed winxp a while ago, so I cannot test that. I have been
deterred from  upgrading to windows 2003 because of the usb driver issue.
Win2003 indeed supports hyper-threading.  However, before I dive into
installing win2003, I wonder if anyone has proved that the winxp will work
with the hyper-threading feature disabled (usually from the bios) without
the patch.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Thorn [mailto:buachaille@neo.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 6:48 AM
To: Elizabeth Mabrey; 'Bernard Catt'; michael_l@iinet.net.au
Subject: RE: NEW LEGO USB Driver

Bernard and Elizabeth,

Thanks for pointing out to me that it's available for
download; but actually, I knew about this patch long ago. :)
I helped Tech Support create it.

Up until this point the only place I knew it was available
was on my server, at
http://www.roboticsresources.com/LegoTower.zip, where it was
temporarily residing until LEGO got it up on their server.
But, LEGO Tech Support didn't tell me about the LEGO.com
download. Thanks for telling me about that! :)

Glad to hear it's working for you. Hyperthreading was indeed
the problem.

~Mike