 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3539
Re: Complete instructions for Linux?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:55:49 GMT

For example, the windows instructions includes patches. Do we need to
patch non-windows compliers (looking at the patch file, I'd assume we
do)? The patches don't work on later versions of GCC (I tried to make
the changes by hand, but got stuck about half way through). So, are
we required to use GCC 2.95?  Seems like when I made a non-patched
3.3 cross compiler, it wouldn't compile the C++ demos. My non-patched
2.95 does compile all of BrickOS without error--but I'm worried about
not having the patches.

Rich,

Those patches were created for optimizing some legOS code. I believe it was some
interupt code.  The legOS code and brickOS code have internal work arounds.  I
have some emails concerning this somewhere.  But you don't need these patches
for everthing to work.

I would be careful with GCC 3.3.  I remember seeing issues about the compiler in
the newsgroup.  I would do a search on it. I have not used it myself so I am not
really sure what issue are there and which ones matter. GCC 2.95 is the
"official" gcc version for brickOS.

Followed what I thought were the correct instructions for the USB
tower, but it's not working.

Don't know much about USB on Linux.    There has been several threads about it
here.  Also the is a Linux/USB project of SourceForge.  I you find out anything
post it here.

Good Luck!

Ed