 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3491
Re: BrickOS motor port horrors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 02:53:42 GMT

Well, I don't know much about it being possessed, but you should try to divide
the problem probabilities in half.

Try loading the original lego firmware.
(Yes I know, this brings horror to some of you fellow programmers out there, but
its just temporary :-)

See if that fixes the problem. If it does, you've most likely got a software
problem. If not..... you've got a hardware problem....

This will not work in all situations, but its a good starting place.

I hope this helps you some!

Timothy

P.S. If there is no hope, pray for guidance and wisdom from someone who knows
the answers.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Rob Stehlik wrote:
I was writing some simple programs to test out BrickOS last night, and had some
really strange behavior. I hooked up a motor to port B and a rotation sensor to
port 2. My programs were just testing out various motor speeds and positioning
accuracy. The problem was, the motor made some awful grinding noises. It was
almost as if it was toggling between forward and reverse rapidly. I haven't
experimented with low speeds in BrickOS before, so I thought maybe it was
normal. But once I stopped the program, the motor kept going. Kind of freaky.
Then I shut of the RCX, turned it on again, and the motor started grinding
again. Really freaky. The I hooked up the motor to the other ports to see if
anything was wrong with them. Port A seemed fine, while port C was powered as
well. Instead of a low grinding noise, it produced a high pitched whine. But the
motor still ran even after the RCX was turned off and then on again. So... I
erased the firmware by removing the batteries, and then reloaded BrickOS
0.2.6.10. Without even downloading a program to the RCX, motor ports B and C
behaved the same as before. To make sure the problem was not a hrdware issue, I
erased the firmware again, and loaded the standard Lego frimware, and the motor
ports behaved themselves.

Any idea what might have gone wrong? Is my RCX possessed?
Rob