 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3455
Re: BrickOS = shoot self in head
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:56:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Michael Purvis wrote:
Okay, first question: regarding the list of packages. The Step-By-Step page I
was following included a list of 'packages' that needed to be installed. The
Cygwin installer that came off the official site was missing the following:

The cygwin installer lets you pick which packages to install and all of the ones
listed on the step-by-step page are available through the standard cygwin
installer.

Second Problem. Maybe missing the gcc package is the reason that 'make' doesn't
work;

But I do have (several) files named gcc, so how can it 'not be found'?

If you install cygwin correctly you should have a gcc.exe in the cygwin bin
directory.  That directory should be on your BASH shell path and - for BricxCC
support - it should be on your Windows PATH as well.

And there _is_ a file named h8300-hms-gcc.exe, in the directory indicated by
ToolPrefix, so why is it not finding it?

To build the Windows tools (dll, firmdl3, fixdeps, genlds, and makelx) you need
the regular gcc compiler (not the h8 cross compiler).  If you haven't installed
the gcc package then you don't have the regular gcc compiler and you won't be
able to build the utilities listed above.  And you can't build the brickOS
firmware .srec file either.

I'm working on a far better way.  See a future post for details.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm