 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3451
3450  |  3452
Subject:
BrickOS = shoot self in head
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:08:59 GMT

I think I've concluded that the makers of BrickOS are secretly scheming to take
over the world by making geeks' heads explode by repeated impact with the
nearest CONCRETE WALL...

Okay, first question: regarding the list of packages. The Step-By-Step page I
was following included a list of 'packages' that needed to be installed. The
Cygwin installer that came off the official site was missing the following:

autoconf
autoconf-devel
autoconf-stable
automake
automake-devel
automake-stable
binutils
cpio
cygwin
diff
file
flex
gcc
less
m4
make
mingw-runtime
mktemp
patch
pcre
perl
time
w32api

But nowhere in the tutorial did it mention that I'd need to go elsewhere to find
these other packages... do I? What filetype are they? Where are they? How do I
add them to the installer? Would it be easier to just ditch Cygwin and
re-install Mandrake on my old hard drive?

Second Problem. Maybe missing the gcc package is the reason that 'make' doesn't
work;

$ make
make.exe[1]: Entering directory `/brickos-0.2.6.10/util'
make.exe[2]: Entering directory `/brickos-0.2.6.10/util/dll-src'
gcc -o loader.o -c loader.c -D_WIN32 -O2 -Wall -I.
-I/brickos-0.2.6.10/include/lnp
make.exe[2]: gcc: Command not found
make.exe[2]: *** [loader.o] Error 127
make.exe[2]: Leaving directory `/brickos-0.2.6.10/util/dll-src'
make.exe[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `/brickos-0.2.6.10/util'
make.exe: *** [all] Error 2
$

But I do have (several) files named gcc, so how can it 'not be found'?

The make.common file includes these lines:

#
#  BEGIN-configuration insert (do not remove this line)
# -------------------------------------------------------
TOOLPREFIX=/h8300-000821/H-i686-cygwin32/bin/h8300-hms-
SED_SFLAG=
EXT=.exe
CC=gcc
CFLAGS+=-D_WIN32
MAKEDEPEND=$(CC) -M
BRICKOS_ROOT=/brickos-0.2.6.10
CFLAGS+=-O2 -Wall

And there _is_ a file named h8300-hms-gcc.exe, in the directory indicated by
ToolPrefix, so why is it not finding it? My PATH includes that directory, among
many others. (basically every bin and util directory in the structure)