 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 319
Re: random numbers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:46:48 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Luis Villa wrote:

Probably a dumb question, but how do I link in another copy of libc,
besides the hacked-down one already present in legOS? I can't just copy
the one on top of the other, and the linker should just link in the first
it finds, correct?

You could either take just the source file out of gnulibc and link it in,
or you could change your setup to actually use the gnulibc (which is what
I am doing, although not with legOS).

At any rate, it is mostly academic. The stripped down version of the PRNG
I found takes only about 800B, and if you want to get numbers other than
0-65535, it only takes another 1100B to link in Kekoa's library. I
can't imagine any libc stuff being smaller than that. It is
also very fast, and is provably very random. Once I hear from the author,
I will post full code. In the meantime, I've posted a link to his site
and a brief description of the few necessary modifications to make it
work in the HOWTO.

It depends on what you want the RNG for.  If all you want is to make your
robot behavior less predictable, that should be fine.  If you are wanting
to do some kind of simulation (for example, your robot could do a Monte
Carlo simulation of possible behaviors and expected results to choose based
on the simulation), then you probably want a better RNG with good spectral
properties.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801