 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 314
Re: is IR considered broken?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:09:07 GMT

Sorry it took so long to reply, Mark... I somehow seem to have deleted your
mail and only noticed it on the newsgroup by accident. Here are my thoughts.

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Mark Falco writes:
The precompiled tm-and-ir, kinda works for me.  It is pretty good at
receiving data, but the transmitted message often has garbage.

Uhuh. This is (apparently) not a unique experience.

When I
compile it myself using the latest legOS snapshot, it always transmits
garbage, others seem to have seen the same thing.   I've written some
very simple programs which use IR, and they seem to lock up as soon as
an IR function is called.

I have not had that experience, but it would not surprise me. Various functions
will lock up LegOS randomly at various times. As it is virtually impossible to
debug these problems, this is sort of to be expected and hopefully not too
serious.

Some questions I have:

1. Was it ever considered to be working (stable)?  What was the last
working version?

As far as I know, no. Then again, there has never been a "stable" version of
LegOS in that sense.

2. Is it considered to be broken under the current snapshot?

Again, this is all in the eye of the beholder. I certainly think it is broken,
but that is mainly because it is not usable.

3. If it is broken is anyone actively working on fixing it?  If not I'll
take a stab at it.

I don't think so. LegOS development is, as far as I can tell, dead at the
moment. Neither Lou nor Markus have been heard from on this list in a while, as
both are apparently quite busy with other projects.

4. If others have working code that uses IR, can you post it?

I wish :)

I've spent some time messing with the IR, Mark, and as far as I can tell, the
problem is not so much a hardware or OS problem as it is a protocol problem.
With no consistent method of checking either what is being sent or received,
there is no way to consistently get reliable communication between PC and RCX.
The solution would have to conist of some type of encoding and decoding on each
end, with error correction of some basic type. If I knew enough about
networking protocols, I'd give it a shot, but that is a no-go for me, I'm
afraid. Anyway, I hope that you can find some time and give it a serious shot-
good luck-
Luis