 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3111
Re: Sensor Sampling; Progress?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:34:55 GMT

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote:

I note that in your description of the active sensor power and sample
timing, you give the impression that you are only sampling one sensor per
power interruption. Is this correct?

Yes.

Does this mean that you can interrupt the power to each sensor • individually
in the RCX?

That's right.

In which case this is a good thing since the average power to
the sensors will meet or exceed that provided by the standard firmware.

I agree.  With the current firmware, power gets cut off to all
3 sensors for ~85us (sometimes longer).  With the scheme
I mentioned, power would be cut to only one sensor for
~25us.  The sample rate could be adjusted anywhere from
8 Hz to 6 KHz.  BrickOS already works like this but the
sample rate is pegged at 6.7 KHz so the power duty cycle
isn't all that good.

Some sensors are right on the ragged edge of providing enough power • storage
to "flywheel" over these interruptions and so I am concerned that these
sensors may fail if starved of power.

By reducing the sample rate, the power duty cycle would
increase.  As long as the sensor could take the ~25 us
hit and recover before the next sample, you'd be in great
shape!

Of course, you could always put batteries in the sensor...  ;-)

Mark (making a quick exit...)