 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 3078
  Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

Hi All, The recent posts about interfacing an i2c device to an RCX sensor port (in .robotics) got me interested in looking at the kernel code that handles the sensors. So, I did and found myself looking at the ds_handler function. This function is (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

Oops, found a little bug. ;-) Forgot to turn off the rotation sensors. Caused a wrong reading if you let the program run through the readings more than once. The rotation sensor section should read like this: // with two rotation sensors enabled (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

Mark, ANOTHER great find! You are pushing BrickOS to new heights! Ok, so what can we do about this? 1) Provide a constant to set the update frequency at compile time. 2) Provide a variable to set the update frequency at run time. 3) Optimize the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

(...) This would be my favourites. If one builds a fast moving robot, main concern will be how fast the robot reacts to light sensor changes or how small the structures could be that the light sensor will "see". If one builds a thinking robot, for (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

This was a terrific analysis. It's not surprizing that current implementation hogs so much CPU time. If all four A/D channels are scanned every 150 us then the A/D interrupt is occuring every 37.5 us since each A/D channel generates its own (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

(...) The delay was added a long time ago after a bit of discussion on this newsgroup/list. A search through old newsgroup posts will turn up a brief series of three posts with subject "Rom sensor read routine" from Apr/May 1999. The explanation (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

Mark, I retrieved the latest BrickOS from CVS, made clean and made the cpu test program you listed. I then made two small changes (to see what would happen); first the results, then the changes: IDLE: 89 2ROT: 87 NOAD: 91 (see below) NIRQ: 98 (see (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

I did some "real world" tests with this update. I was Astounded at what a difference it makes. The bot I was testing with is a killough platform; which I had tried for hours previously, to get it to follow a line smoothly. I think BrickOS was giving (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

Joe, That's definitely an improvement! So, that would be a 250 Hz sample rate for any given sensor. I just tried a modification similar to yours that did all 4 conversions every OCRA/B interrupt (or 1 KHz sample rate) and got: IDLE: 82 2ROT: 77 (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results

(...) I've found that any interrupt on the RCX has a minimum overhead of 101 to 113 states (or about 7 us). This is the time taken by the CPU to recognize and dispatch the interrupt plus the time the ROM routine takes to dispatch the interrupt to (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Interesting BrickOS Timing Results